Study Comm Meeting Minutes July 20, 2011
RED Study Committee
Local Control Sub-committee
July 20, 2011
Present: Chris Kapsalis, Mary Catherine Jones, Sue Thibault, Elaine Pinckney
The group reviewed the statutory responsibility, accountability, and authority for the SU board, the local boards, and the superintendent – currently and as a result of Act 153.
The group focused on the implications of a RED merger on “local control” and community connections with the local schools and how Local Community Councils could enhance community partnering.
Possibility for structure and purpose of Community Councils:
- Composed of parents and community members
- Annual meeting to elect a chair (could be multi-year term)
o Facilitates meetings
o Attends (or delegates attendance) RED (CVUSD?) meetings and acts as liaison
- Monthly meetings with set presentations and opportunity for discussion, Q&A etc.
o Budget (budget buddies?)
o Curriculum and Program
o School Climate
Some things to think about:
- Ownership of schools – what does it really mean? How can we help people feel comfortable about change of ownership?
- Data disaggregation – how do continue to focus on needs of individual schools?
- What role would principals have at the Local Community Councils?